Olivier Giroud is the recent player to have score four goals in a single Champions League game, as Marco van Basten became the first ever player to net 4 goals in UCL game.
15 players who scored 4 players in the UEFA Champions League
1. Marco van Basten AC Milan vs IFK Goteborg – 1992/93 – 4 goals
In November 1992, Marco van Basten became the first player to score four goals in a Champions League match, against IFK Göteborg
2. Simone Inzaghi Lazio vs Marseille – 1999/00 – 4 goals
On 14 march 2000, Simone Inzaghi became the second player after Van Basten in football history to have scored 4 goals in the Champions League game. The then Lazio striker scored four goals in his team’s second group stage game of the competition against against Marseille.
3. Dado Prso Monaco vs Deportivo de La Coruna – 2003/04
Dado Prso also recorded 4 goals in a single game in the Champions in 2003/04 in the match between Monaco and Deportivo de La Coruna
4. Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United vs Sparta Prague – 2004/05
Nistelrooy scored 4 goals in the Champions League as Manchester United played against Sparta Prague in 2004/05
5. Andriy Shevchenko AC Milan vs Fenerbahce – 2005/06
In a match where Andriy Shevchenko was solely responsible for Milan’s goals in a 4-0 win away to Fenerbahce, four different players provided the assist for the incredible Ukrainian frontman that night.
6. Lionel Messi Barcelona vs Arsenal and Bayer Leverkusen – 2009/10 & 2011/12
Messi is one of just two players to ever score five in a single Champions League game, as he did against Bayer Leverkusen in 2012 as part of a mesmeric 7-1 win.
7. Bafetimbi Gomis Lyon vs Dinamo Zagreb – 2011/12
Dinamo Zagreb were a man down but leading Lyon 1-0 at home. Bafetimbi Gomis found the net for the visitors on the cusp of the interval and proceeded to score another two by the 52nd minute to ensure he completed the fastest hat-trick in Champions League history.
Gomis then had time to score a fourth and Lyon went on to win 7-1.
8. Mario Gomez Bayern Munich vs FC Basel – 2011/12
Bayern Munich managed to overturn the 1-0 defeat from their first leg against Basel and ripped seven past the then Swiss champions with Mario Gomez scoring four for himself.
9. Robert Lewandowski Borussia Dortmund & Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid and Red Star Belgrade – 2012/13 & 2019/20
Robert Lewandowski’s quartet in the 2019/20 group stage against Crvena Zvezda may be the fastest ever four goal haul in the competition, netted in 16 minutes.
But his most important ones are those scored for Borussia Dortmund against Real Madrid on their way to the 2013 Champions League final.
10. Zlatan Ibrahimovic Paris Saint-Germain vs Anderlecht – 2013/14
Zlatan Ibrahimovic sure has scored a lot of goals in the competition including netting a quartet against Anderlecht in the 2013-14 season.
11. Luiz Adriano Shakhtar Donetsk vs BATE Borisov – 2014/15
Brazilian striker Luiz Adriano hit five for Shakhtar Donetsk away to BATE Borisov at the end of October before netting just three when the two sides met again in their next European outing.
12. Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid vs Malmo – 2015/16
Cristiano Ronaldo’s inclusion in any goalscoring-based list is never a big surprise. However, the Champions League’s all-time top scorer has only netted four in a game once in the competition, against Malmo.
13. Serge Gnabry Bayern Munich vs Tottenham Hotspur – 2019/20
Ahead of Bayern Munich’s trip to Tottenham in October 2019, Serge Gnabry’s father was straightforward with his advice: “I had told him that he should play well today.”
Well, his son scored four that night as Bayern won 7-2
14. Josip Ilicic Atalanta vs Valencia – 2019/20
Ilicic had signaled his manager to be substituted after scoring his third goal against Valencia. The manager ignored his request and 10 minutes alter, Ilicic scored his fourth goal of the game.
15. Olivier Giroud Chelsea vs Sevilla – 2020/21
At 34 years of age, Olivier Giroud became the oldest player to net a hat-trick in UEFA Champions League history. He also broke the record of being the oldest player to score four goals in a single Champions League game,